Does YDL use unreleased/buggy redhat-versions of KDE and XFree86?

Dan Burcaw yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 23 18:37:00 2003

> For those in a hurry the website mentioned above says that
> RH created a new fork of KDE (and also X) without any cooperation or
> sharing ("secret hacks") with the core developer teams and without any
> experienced QT/KDE-programmers, and thus heavily screwing up the KDE
> (and X) codebase and introducing compile problems with gcc 3.2, new bugs
> and software conflicts with other open source projects. So RH is
> actually damaging the free software projects it is profiting from. It
> does so also with the gcc-, wine- and even Gnome-project ....
>
> If YDL's desktop was indeed based on that "screwed up" stuff of Redhat
> it would be sad sad sad ...

Well there's a lot of mis-information here.  Red Hat's KDE 3.1 has no
patches related to Red Hat's Bluecurve. All of the theme code is handled
via the theme engine. So, if you change themes, the Bluecurve code no
longer runs.  Red Hat does a good job, and we do use there stuff... and I
don't feel Red Hat is damaging free software projects at all.

-Dan