Need an advice

maraqas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 24 07:05:01 2003

Hi all,
    I'm gonna buy an IBook2 with PowerPC G3 800MHz 128MB SDRAM
Combo DVD-ROM/CD-RW 16x8x8x24x, but i need it to properly run
Linux. Now, i've heard all around about this Yellow Dog, and it seems to be
ok. I need to know something about it anyway:

1) Is there easy-to-install ethernet and modem support?
2) Is it "Red Hat-like" easy to use in general?
3) Any need of specially tailored rpms or redhat ones are ok?
4) Is italian keyboard supported?
5) Will the combo drive run properly?

I'd like to hear from someone's experience if it's suitable for office-like
use. I mean,
this is my average scenario of tasks running together:

1) acrobat reader
2) openoffice
3) mailer
4) browser
5) audioplayer

Will the machine manage them good?

Another thing i'd like to know is: what are the main differences between YDL
2.3 and 3.0?

Thank you very much

Maq