Does YDL use unreleased/buggy redhat-versions of KDE and XFree86?

Markus Deistler yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 24 10:23:01 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 01.36 Dan Burcaw wrote:

> Well there's a lot of mis-information here.  Red Hat's KDE 3.1 has no
> patches related to Red Hat's Bluecurve. All of the theme code is handled

The src.rpm I downloaded from a Redhat-mirror actually contains a lot of
patches.

They also heavily changed the installation scheme. Therefore I run into
some difficulties when I upgraded from YDL-plain-vanilla-KDE 3.0.1 to
RH-KDE-3.1 by just doing a 'rpm -i' ...
It's not just another theme.

And I was just lucky with gcc-2.95.4, gcc-3.2.2 just doesn't compile the
kdebase-package, for example.

So I don't believe everything is mis-information here. Maybe biased or
exaggerated, but there seems to be truth in it.

> via the theme engine. So, if you change themes, the Bluecurve code no

> longer runs.  Red Hat does a good job, and we do use there stuff... and I

Maybe, but Microsoft sometimes ships good software, too. Just it charges
for everything and its source is closed away. Now RH is said to enhance
free software secretly, and keep secret hacks it doesn't share with
developers. In this list I also read in another thread ("Recommended
Upgrade Method") about RH's special code for rpm and other stuff, which
enables smooth upgrading and dissolves nasty dependency-issues, and it
was called "black magic". I don't feel comfortable if there is any
"black magic" in Open Source.

Cheers, Markus