Does YDL use unreleased/buggy redhat-versions of KDE and XFree86?

Konstantin Riabitsev yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 24 10:34:01 2003

--=-TzhrMoHI9ZVD6L3qwzbk

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 13:20, Markus Deistler wrote:

> Maybe, but Microsoft sometimes ships good software, too. Just it charges
> for everything and its source is closed away. Now RH is said to enhance
> free software secretly, and keep secret hacks it doesn't share with
> developers.

That would violate GPL, so no.

> In this list I also read in another thread ("Recommended
> Upgrade Method") about RH's special code for rpm and other stuff, which
> enables smooth upgrading and dissolves nasty dependency-issues, and it
> was called "black magic". I don't feel comfortable if there is any
> "black magic" in Open Source.

Read the code. RPM is open source and GPL.

As long as the code RH produces is GPL, I have no problems with the
changes they make to other people's software in order to make it
integrate in their distribution. If you have a problem -- RH is in no
way a monopoly. Pick another distribution and go with it.

Regards,
--=20
Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev
Duke University Physics Sysadmin