Does YDL use unreleased/buggy redhat-versions of KDE and XFree86?

Matthias Saou yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 26 08:30:01 2003

Markus Deistler <msdeistler@freenet.de> wrote :

> On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 13.17 Matthias Saou wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > But keep in mind that what you're saying ins't true with most of the
> > main pieces of Red Hat Linux: Red Hat Inc. employs some of the main
> > developers of projects like glibc, gcc, GNOME, the Linux kernel etc.
> > and AFAIK doesn't keep changes for themselves
>
> Nice to hear that from you, my trust in RH and everything that is based
> on RH (eg. YDL) was heavily shaken by that website I mentioned before
> (http://www.mosfet.org/noredhat.html).
>
> Nevertheless I will scrutinize YDL's src.rpms more often now.

Well... in cases like "Red Hat vs. KDE", I usually start by getting both
side's versions, then I make my own idea :-) I perfectly understand the
frustration of the KDE developers when Red Hat shipped KDE broken in
various places, but I also believe Red Hat developers when they say that it
really wasn't intentionnal, and that it eventually got fixed anyhow.

I think that if you use mainly KDE, Red Hat Linux isn't the best distro for
you. Trying out Arklinux would then be a good idea. :-)

Anyway... I don't like FUD, I don't like flame wars, but I don't think
it'll all stop anytime soon.

Matthias

PS: I'm not affiliated with nor part of Red Hat Inc. and all of my opinions
are purely personal.

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.9x (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-2.54
Load : 0.21 0.47 0.46, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (5:39)