hardware

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 26 16:59:01 2003

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 11:40  AM, Stefan Bruda wrote:

> Of course, airport extreme does 802.11g which nobody knows how it
> looks.  In fact, I believe it is not even a standard yet, just a
> proposal.

802.11g is a draft standard (which is a bit further along than a
proposal).  It's quite common for implementations of various bits of
telecom hardware to appear before a draft standard is finalized.
Vendors can't resist the opportunity to get a jump on the competition,
and hope they will be able to accomodate any changes in the spec
through firmware updates.

>   So an airpors extreme card has no chance of working at
> anything larger than 0 (i.e., ZERO) Mb/s.

The reason why it has no chance of working is that no Linux driver
currently exists for whatever 802.11g chipset Apple OEMed (I've heard
it's Broadcom), not that the information on the 802.11g protocol is
unavailable.