YDL with linksys wireless router??

Tony K. yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 26 21:30:01 2003

I have a Linksys Wireless Access Point Router (802.11b), Model
#BEFW11S4, and basic functionality works fine with my iBook (600MHz)
YDL2.3 and airport card and my Red Hat desktop.

The settings on the router are HTML based.  These web pages act a little
flakey with Linux browsers, for example, after applying changes the
browser does not reflect the changes until the browser is refreshed
manually.  Sometimes after refreshing the settings do not read
accurately.  The accompanying software is only for windows that I am
aware of.  Until I got use the the browser flakiness, I would adjust
settings with MSIE from within Windows running via Win4Lin on my Red Hat
desktop.  I have not yet enabled encryption, only because I live in a
rural location and others using my wireless are unlikely and I only use
the wireless capability occasionally when I am in another part of the
house.

You will have limited control of the router from the 'wireless'
connection.  You will, for example, be turning wireless connection on
(and probably off) from a computer hard wired to the router.  I have not
tried changing settings on it from the wireless connection.

I considered buying the new Apple Airport at $199, but I figured I was
not getting much more capability than the $79 Linksys(after rebate).  I
don't see myself using 802.11g any time soon.

Note: I had tried using a D-Link wireless access point with my (old
non-wireless) Linksys router.  Although basic functionality worked out
of the box, I was not able to access the HTML settings at all from my
iBook (YDL or MacOSX), nor from the desktop since the default ip
settings on the Linksys and D-Link where not compatible.  I returned the
D-Link unit for a refund.

I have been satisfied with the Linksys Wireless.

There is a YDL how to on the subject:

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/airport24.shtml