My experiences with YDL 3.0

Etienne Beaule yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 28 12:03:01 2003

I have been playing with it for a week now and I am very impressed!

List of things I like:
1. Gnome 2.2!
2. Easy to configure (in a matter of minutes, I was able to sync my=20
Palm m505, use my Epson USB scanner, download pictures from my Olympus=20=

camera and play DVDs)
3. Installation was easy
4. The new MOL works great (relatively fast, internet now works with OS=20=

X - something that I was not able to make happen with previous version)
5. Seems quite fast to me
6. Easy SMB browsing (worked perfect at work - good job!)
7. Finally, good (but not perfect) keymaps for Canadian French keyboards
8. The various system tools included
9. The look
10. The hardware configurator at startup
11. The printer setup system tool
12. there is more - I can't list it all

Stuff that I had to fix manually:
1. /usr/bin/wish was missing (gave me a few errors with apt-get). To=20
fix this, I had to install tk manually (from the CD)
2. DRI did not work right out of the box. I had to uncomment the dri=20
module in the xfree config file (no big deal)
3. No dvd player included? I used the newly created ydl 3.0 repository=20=

to install them all (glut was missing for xine-lib so I had to install=20=

it manually from the CD)
4. The bundled MrProject is quite old... I had to replace it with the=20
newest version (installed from source)

Stuff that I didn't try:
1. Using firewire stuff
2. Accessing hfs/hfs+ partitions
3. Burning CDs

Stuff that does not work well:
1. DVD playback is rather slow - I wasn't able to get Ogle to work=20
(this was the fastest on my ex ydl 2..3) but vlc, mplayer and xine all=20=

work (xine seems to be a little faster than the rest of the crowd)
2. The Kernel source package is broken (on my CD/ISO anyway - could be=20=

a ftp error thing).

Overall, I am very happy with it.

=C9tienne=