YDL & router [cont.]

Beartooth yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 28 12:44:01 2003

Spliced Networks advised:

> You don't need both the eth1 stuff and the iwconfig lines I posted.
> Forget about the eth1 stuff for now, and use the iwconfig line and the
> ip link and dhcpcd lines I posted.

	OK; I copied the long eth1 to a new eth2 (as a way of saving
it), overwrote it to be like it was before (using eth0), and rebooted.
Maybe I should rename eth2 to something somewhere else?

> Before you type dhcpcd, try typing iwconfig and see if you can see
> the mac address of your access point. It should also display signal
> strength and other information.

	It shows "no wireless extensions" and nothing elsr for both lo
and eth0. Then before eth1 -- this is *after* I shortened it back -- it
says "Warning : Device eth1 has been compiled with version 13 of
Wireless Extension, while we are using version 12. Some things may be
broken ..."

	Then it says (with some blank lines thrown in by me:

===============

eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"xxxxxxx"  [my SSID, that I gave the router,
with quotes] Nickname:  "HERMES I" [no idea where it got that]

 Mode:Managed   Frequency:2.422GHz  Access Point:
00:00:00:00:00:00 [it *is* all zeroes; I'm not changing that]

Bit Rate:11Mb/s    Tx-Power=15 dBm  Sensitivity:1/3

Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off

Encryption key:xxxx-xxxx-xx

Power Management:off

=========================

> If it doesn't then, you should check your SSID, and make sure you have
> WEP turned off on the access point. You may also have to manually set
> the channel.

	I've tried doing the iwconfig line both with and without the ""
around my SSID (though not, I think, rebooting each time), and that has
not helped.

	I did go into the router's configuration and make sure WEP was
disabled; and rebooted YDL.

	Btw, I notice that it brings up lo, eth0, and ppp1 but not eth1
on boot; but it shuts eth1 down on shutdown.

	And I'm still not connecting, even though RH 8 over cable to a
live port, and OSX wirelessly on the ibook, do both connect now through
this linksys router.

	Also you're dead right: much of the problem is user-induced.

	Otoh, all through the two months till I got to the discovery of
hardware failure (this is still the router with the two dead ports), I
had lots of help online -- from Novalug and various individual hotshots,
who also tried hard and got not much of anywhere, walking me through
attempts -- with things other than YDL. I've held off trying to connect
that here, because I dared not risk my functioning connection on the
other end so long as the ibook was going back and forth.

--
Beartooth the Stubborn <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
RH 7.2 & 8, YDL 2.3, OSX; Pine 4.43; Privoxy 3.0.0