My experiences with YDL 3.0

Matthias Saou yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 28 12:50:01 2003

Etienne Beaule <etienneb@syd.eastlink.ca> wrote :

> 1. DVD playback is rather slow - I wasn't able to get Ogle to work
> (this was the fastest on my ex ydl 2..3) but vlc, mplayer and xine all
> work (xine seems to be a little faster than the rest of the crowd)

You couldn't get ogle to work? Do you have more information about what the
problem could be? As if you're using my packages, I'd be interested in
knowing if it could be a packaging bug, since I don't have a DVD player on
my Mac to actually test it.

Otherwise, did you check that you have DMA enabled on your combo drive? I
know Red Hat Linux disables it by default because of flaky hardware, and
you then get choppy DVD playback. If the configuration is similar in YDL
3.0, you could take a look at my DVD page for quick instructions on you to
check and activate it:

http://freshrpms.net/docs/dvd/

Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.9x (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-2.54
Load : 0.20 0.25 0.18, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (5:37)