yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #736 - 13 msgs

Jonathan Walton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 30 12:08:01 2003

> 	Two problems, perhaps related. One: I'm pretty sure WEP was off
> when I did that -- and I'm sure it was late last night; but when I went
> into Setup just now, I had to turn it off again, without having touched
> it in the mean time.

I had this problem the first few times with the Netgear MR314.  It
turned out to be user-error (I kept forgetting to click "save).

> I will assume you're going to use a static IP address.  I have not
> messed with DHCP so I can't help you with that.  Your ifcfg-eth1 file
> (in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts) should look something like this:

I was actually using DHCP just fine.  I followed the wireless HOWTO on
the ydl site to do so.  The notes I kept at that time and the relevant
files are below.  I hope this helps.

Jonathan

  created an /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 for airport (DHCP)
  set up /etc/rc.modules to load it
    [try /etc/sysconfig/network gateway = eth1]
  changed /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to not try eth0 on boot
    [since DHCP without mods locks up]

my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file reads:
    NAME=localhost
    DEVICE=eth1
    IPADDR=
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    ONBOOT=yes
    NETMASK=
    GATEWAY=
    ESSID="XXX"
    KEY="YYY"

my /etc/rc.modules reads:
    #!/bin/sh
    /sbin/modprobe airport

and my /etc/sysconfig/network reads:
    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
    FORWARD_IPV4=no
    DEFRAG_IPV4=no
    GATEWAY=
    GATEWAYDEV=eth1
    NISDOMAIN=
    IPX=no
    IPXAUTOPRIMARY=off
    IPXAUTOFRAME=off
    IPXINTERNALNETNUM=
    IPXINTERNALNODENUM=

SideNote 1: I am not happy with the hostname as set up above, but that's
  a different issue.  [my hostname issue was that if I can lookup my
  hostname locally, smtp fails (I suspect my outgoing mail gets a name
  instead of an ipaddress, and then my mail forwarder rejects the mail
  as unverifiable or spoof or something).  But if I can't look it up
  locally, lpr fails.  So I switch hostname if I want to print, and
  switch it back if I want to send email.]

SideNote 2: I strongly suggest WEP, hardware-filtering, and changing
  your default password.  I'm glad my neightbor with DSL _doesn't_ have
  it, because it gives me a failover ethernet when my cable-modem goes
  down... but I doubt he appreciates that!  (And when I first moved in
  and was trying to figure out what channel he was on, I was able to log
  in to his router using the default password and peek at his settings!)