install of 2.3

mike newman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 30 15:37:01 2003

i can't credit the suggestor since i just accidentally deleted my email
:-(. thanks whoever you are. also, i think another poster reported the
same problem but no resulution yet.

for reference, during the first boot, just after the text login appears on
the screen and just before the graphical login screen appears (ie, almost
certainly during launch of X) the screen (which contains only a couple of
text lines of login) blinks every few seconds, eventually giving up for 5
minutes before repeating.

the fix that worked for me was wait for the 5 minute pause, login as root,
run xconfigurator, and then exit. after the 5 minutes are up, all's well.
further boots are normal.

note: i selected exactly the same options in xconfigurator as i had in the
startup. so it "should" have done nothing.

note: i tried reinstalling 2.1, which worked flawlessly. i notice the
installer is not quite the same (i think it had more options at some
point) so i suspect there is a slight bug that may not set some parameters
correctly. as a side note, i have an early wallstreet ("mainstreet") which
has a slower video card then later powerbooks; perhaps the installer
doesn't know the difference between different wallstreets? it only had an
option for pre-1999 powerbooks.

this all seems a little weird to me, but i suppose at this point i'll just
wait a while and install 3.0.

by the way: i started installing on saturday evening, and by sunday
afternoon i already had useful advice on how to fix problems. yay open
source! yay linux! yippee!