install of 2.3

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 31 15:54:01 2003

mike newman wrote:

>two questions, but i'll post speerately for clarity.
>
>i have a problem with ydl 2.3 on my wallstreet. the installation goes
>fine, giving me the "you have completed installation of dayton...". when i
>reboot though, i do not get the gui login screen. i get the text login,
>and then the screen blinks every 2 seconds or so for a while, then gives
>up with the error message:
>
>  INIT: Id "x" responding too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

I think I had a problem like this when I did my LinuxPPC install. As I
recall, when I set the /etc/inittab to runlevel 3 (text login) it went
away. As a result, I chose text login for my YDL install as well. Then
you can type startx at the command prompt to start X windows. Another
thing I recall from the LinuxPPC install was that I got an error message
with the monitor setup step. The error went away if I gave Linux the
same video settings as MacOS. As a result, I have been using MacOS video
settings with all my YDL installs as well.

Also, in response to your question about partitioning the hard drive -
the one bit of advice I have is don't put /usr on a separate partition.
I was terribly frustrated because with my first YDL install I had no
troubles with the system maintaining the correct time across MacOS and
Linux. In subsequent reinstalls, it was all messed up. Then, based on a
post on this list, I learned that if /usr is on a separate partition
from /, the time zone info doesn't get in Linux at the right time, and
things are messed up. I reinstalled again with /usr and / on the same
partition, and my system keeps track of time correctly now. (Many thanks
to the individual who made that post!! Sorry, but I lost the name in my
last reformat. . . .)

The problems I had may be totally different from yours, but I thought I
would let you know about my experiences just in case.

Good Luck -

Cindy