Can't boot

Felix Jodoin yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Mar 31 06:36:01 2003

--Boundary_(ID_18r684G82hproFkNLO6WlA)

A follow up for that is to get into single-user mode:
[you need the YDL 2.1 Disc 1]
{boot from it}
cd-linux root=/dev/hda#
Make sure you replace # with the number ydl is installed to and:
[You need YDL Disc 2.3]
{boot from it}
linux rescue root=/dev/hda#
And if you type
linux rescue
Then you can boot off the disc. After that you can mount your hd, cd to
it, and delete /dev/null.

Proteus42
On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 02:09  AM, Atro Tossavainen wrote:

>> Each time I restart the system fails at
>>     Mounting proc filesystem: dup2 bad file descriptor
>
> My previous experience with "dup2 bad file descriptor" messages at boot
> suggests that something has botched up /dev/null, turning it into a
> regular file.
>
> If you manage to get to single user mode and issue the commands
>
> 	rm -f /dev/null
> 	mknod -m 0666 /dev/null c 1 3
>
> you've solved the problem.
>
> --
> Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology
> at
> Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki,
> Finland,
> +358-9-19158939  UNIX Dinosaur     / employs me, but my opinions are
> my own.
>
> File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.

--Boundary_(ID_18r684G82hproFkNLO6WlA)

A follow up for that is to get into single-user mode:

[you need the YDL 2.1 Disc 1]

{boot from it}

<bold>cd-linux root=/dev/hda#</bold>

Make sure you replace # with the number ydl is installed to and:

[You need YDL Disc 2.3]

{boot from it}

<bold>linux rescue root=/dev/hda#</bold>

And if you type

<bold>linux rescue</bold>

Then you can boot off the disc. After that you can mount your hd, cd
to it, and delete /dev/null.

Proteus42

<excerpt><excerpt>Each time I restart the system fails at

    Mounting proc filesystem: dup2 bad file descriptor

</excerpt>