PCMCIA /Orinoco Silver 802.11b

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 5 09:46:00 2003

At 08:02 -0700 on 2003-5-5 Bob Sams wrote:

 > Output from chkconfig --list | grep pcmcia  indicates that pcmcia is on
 > for levels 3 through 5.
 > services pcmcia status? generates no output at all.

Then it is very likely that the PCMCIA subsystem is disabled in
/etc/sysconfig/pcmcia.  Make sure that you have

    PCMCIA=yes

(as opposed to PCMCIA=no) as the first line in there.

You should also specify the driver that drives the controller, on my
system (tibook rev. III) yenta_socket is the only one that works, so I
also have

    PCIC=yenta_socket

These two options should be enough to get you going.  If they don't,
at least you should have some error messages instead of nothing. :-)

 > Besides, I thought pcmcia support was built in to 2.4 kernels.

>From my experience it is (or it appears to be).  I wanted once to get
a PCMCIA wireless card so I set my PCMCIA subsystem up.  I managed to
make it running apparently, but I never got to test it with any card
since I ended up getting an Airport and thus never actually using the
system.  However, the card controller was recognized and everything
with the appropriate kernel (benh) support compiled in and without any
additional package.

If only somebody would document somewhere the existence of
yenta_socket, I spent more than a day until I gigured it out.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.