YDL 3 and second HD : How can you be seriously in business?

Lee Parry yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 6 07:38:01 2003

> Richard,
>
> It did not "serious damage" anything. The issue is trivial and
> simple to fix.
>
> Please read:
> http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2003-April/007
> 186.html
>
> before you jump to conclusions.

Although I'd agree that the fix is a relatively trivial matter, and all in
all this isn't the end of the world, it is still surprising that such a bug
got through to the final release.

It would seem to me that a 2 hard drive setup was probably one of the more
common environments under which one might install YDL.

The only reason I say this is that it happened to me. And I must say I
crapped myself. I began to think I might have wiped my whole OS X Drive. I
had a VERY frightening half hour on Friday when I installed it.

Fortunately, my flatmate has an iBook, so I was able to look at the ydl
website and found the fix (which his well presented at the top of the page).
However, if it hadn't been for my flatmates machine, I wouldn't have been
able to find the fix, or download it, or install it. Especially since YDL 3
still hasn't sorted out it's out of the box support for ATI Rage 128s with
Apple Studio Display 17" CRT monitors.

I couldn't get it to work for X Windows. The cli is ok (apart from a big
shift to the left so you can't see the first 3 characters). When I tried to
run Xconfigurator, it aint there. And I couldn't find any Modeline statement
in the conf file either.

The thing I think is bizarre, is that when it lods up I can see that it has
recognised both my card and monitor correctly. So why hasn't it set the
XF86Config file correctly?

Anyway, all in all a much better installer, and the screenshots of kde3.1
look good (even though I can't get there myself), and I guess it was a
'free' download, so I can't really complain, but I guess, there's the rub.

Lee

Lee Parry
lee.parry@realworld.co.uk
Real World MultiMedia