Are there USB issues with 800/900 MHz iBooks/YDL 3.0?

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 6 16:27:01 2003

On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 07:25  AM, Aurel Wisse wrote:

> Thank you for answering Tim.
>
> --- Tim Seufert <tas@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> What makes you sure these things were caused by the
>> OPTi controller?
>
> 1) Comments by David Brownell
> 2) The "Optifix" code in the Darwin source.

Ah.  I did some googling and found some info on this.  Yes, it
certainly seems there are known hardware bugs there.

> This sounds reassuring: I could put my interrupt
> devices (mouse,keyboard) on one port and the bulk ones
> on the other *if* there is a problem with the HC.

I would guess you'll have no problems, since it's unlikely that
whatever standard cell USB core Apple licensed for their ASIC has the
same bugs as the OPTi controller.  (And they've been through enough
revs of the chip that they should have corrected for any initial
mistakes by now.)

> Hmmm... I miss the good old stable serial/parallel
> ports, and hw modems...

Yeah; USB suffers a bit from committee disease (everybody wanted to
throw in their own features) and it's sometimes buggy as a result.
Especially the early hardware.  I had just thought that OPTi was solid
because it certainly seemed to work well back when I used one of the
Macs which used it (B&W G3).  But Apple must have had the workarounds
in their MacOS drivers, and back then I don't think I ever really tried
to use anything other than a keyboard and a mouse under Linux since the
Linux USB drivers were in such a primitive state at that time.