How to configure Amanda?

Matthias Saou yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 10 05:09:01 2003

Thomas Kuehner wrote :

> Dear Matthias
>
> first of all thank you. I could install amanda from the YDL3 CD-ROM set
> successfully.
>
> I am not quite sure how to run it. It seems that I will have to create
> some config files first of all but I cannot find this documented.

It's not very easy to get started... the first place to go would be the
Faq-o-Matic over at http://www.amanda.org/ I guess.
The config is in /etc/amanda/ where there is normally a "DailySet1" that
you must copy to the name you want, then edit it's files and finally run
the various "am*" commands. You must do all this as user amanda on RHL or
YDL, an old bahavior was to do it as "operator", which isn't applicable any
more (if ever you find that in the docs, s/operator/amanda/!).

> Is there any GUI application for the amanda command line tools?

Not that I know of.

Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.9x (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-9
Load : 0.07 0.23 0.12