YDL 3.0 catch-22

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 10 07:30:01 2003

I have a PowerCenter with built-in slow narrow SCSI and an Adaptec SCSI card (PC version, so it's
not recognized by MacOS).  I spent a good part of yesterday afternoon installing YDL 3.0 in place
of YDL 2.3.

However, I encountered a catch-22 of sorts regarding my SCSI card.  For reasons known only the
the person(s) that built the YDL 3.0 kernel, the driver for my SCSI card was built as a loadable
module.  This is where the catch-22 comes in.

My root partition is on a wide SCSI drive on the Adaptec SCSI bus.  The SCSI driver won't load until
the root partition is mounted but the root partition can't be mounted until the SCSI driver is
loaded.  So, I've resigned myself to having to rebuild the kernel.

Is the YDL 3.0 kernel source distribution already configured for the kernel executable that was
shipped?  I'd rather not have to figure out what else I need to include, exclude, or specify as a
loadable module.