Question: Booting YDL 3.0 - miBoot - ext3

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 12 03:49:01 2003

Hi Thomas,

Am Sonntag, 11.05.03, um 03:23 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com:

> Message: 7
> Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 02:17:03 +0200
> Subject: Question: Booting YDL 3.0 - miBoot - ext3
> =?ISO-8859-1?B?oA==?=
> From: Thomas Kuehner <macgix@macgix-services.com>
> To: <yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>
> Hi Herouth
>
>> It only looks at its own resources. Among those strings are the
>> kernel parameters, which should be identical to the ones you'd use
>> from bootX._________________
>
> That's what I found put next. It ignored the file and used the
> definitions I
> made in the System file using ResEdit.
>
> I tried to use a config file because of Alexander's instructions to
> use a
> "boot.conf" file and have been astonished that this file was ignored.
> So I
> did both, changing the resources AND placing a "yaboot.conf" file
> additionally.
>
> Therefore I was not able to see clearly what config was used on boot.
> You
> made it more clear to me now. Thank you!

Which version of miboot are you using? All my experience is based on
the miboot software that was included in the LinuxPPC distro (LPPC2kQ4
CD) - when choosing this miboot partition in the Startup disk
controlpanel, it reads something like v1.0.blabla.

I had the same issue with the yaboot.conf file being ignored, until I
renamed it to "boot.conf" (that's the reason why I never mentioned
"YAboot.conf"). There was a post on the linuxppc-user list way back in
2000 mentioning that issue. As I have never tested any other miboot
version, I can't tell whether that still applies to the version of
miboot that is included in the 1.2.2 version of BootX. As soon as time
permits, I will try and install that version of miboot to find out.
Just for the sake of it, try renaming the file to "boot.conf" and put
it in the root level of your HFS boot partition and see if it then used.

As for the issue with the "Linux Kernels" folder your mentioned in one
of your earlier posts, was that folder on the root level of your HFS
boot partition as well? It needs to be there for the version of miboot
I use, not within the fake Systemfolder.

If you have any chance to test these things out, please report back, so
we all know if things are still the same with the latest version of
miboot. My YDL 3.0 installation on a PM7500 went smoothly without any
issues with the old miboot I used.

Hope you got your master block problem fixed!

Greetings,
Alex

Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>
ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040