md5sum for 3th CD YDL3

Rick Sheridan yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 12 07:50:09 2003

I have this exact problem with 3 downloads, all from different mirrors.
This problem was reported by another user in the "yellowdog-newbies" list,
and not answered there.  Hopefully this can be resolved, but I doubt it
will.  I have 2 UMAX C600's. I purchased "Champion Server 1.2", 'YDL 2.0",
and "YDL 2.2".  I downloaded "YDL 2.1" and "YDL 2.3".

Champion Server was the easiest install, and YDL 2.1 worked after I compiled
a custom kernel and a whole lot of effort.  BTW every version of YDL has
always had a problem installing on systems with more than 1 hard drive
(Champion Server needed media inserted into the internal Zip and CDRW), so
when I read about a "bug" in 3.0 I have to laugh. Terrasoft doesn't
acknowledge problems well, and tend to blow off users who do not pay the big
support bucks.  I bought original YDL CD's, but cannot purchase support
because the UMAX's are "NOT Officially Supported BUT should work"  In a
response to a frustrated user Dan Burcaw wrote "Solution: if you want fewer
bugs, you gotta put up the bucks."

Sorry for the rant, but I have tried to support YDL by purchasing copies,
but have had nothing but trouble.  The installers and update schemes change,
but many of the same bugs continue on.  I would purchase 3.0 if it would
work on my Old World machines.  I am using "LinuxPPC 2000", on one machine
but it is getting long in the tooth and too much effort to update (welcome
to RPM hell).  I think I'll try 'Slackintosh'.  Hopefully it will be as
solid and reliable as 'Slackware' is on my x86 systems.