YDL 3.0: Quality of DVD playing support?

Matthias Saou yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 12 16:35:01 2003

Ronald Garcia wrote :

> I'm currently running a PowerBook G3 (Pismo) that dual-boots into YDL 2.3
> and MacOS 9. I only use OS9 to watch DVDs and configure
> my airport and as such  am considering switching to a Linux-only setup
> running YDL
> 3.0 because the OS9 partition seems like a big waste of space.  What kind
> of support for playing DVDs exists under YDL 3.0 compared to Apple's DVD
> player?  I found an airport configurator program, which I hope will cover
> that task, but I know next to nothing about playing DVDs under linux.

You've got choice! I've put up a quick summary page a while back, which you
can find at :
http://freshrpms.net/docs/dvd/

All the mentioned software and dependencies is also on my website as YDL
3.0 rpm packages (some are also for 2.3, but I don't update those anymore).
Check out :
http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms/RPMS/

Or add the following line to /etc/yum.conf :

[freshrpms]
checkgpg=1
name=YellowDog Linux 3.0 freshrpms
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms

(and don't forget to import my key with "rpm --import <keyfile>" or else
remove that gheckgpg=1 line)

Or add the following lines to /etc/apt/sources.list :

rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net yellowdog/3.0/ppc os updates freshrpms
rpm-src http://ayo.freshrpms.net yellowdog/3.0/ppc os updates freshrpms

(remove "os" and "updates" if you already have repositories configured for
the base distribution and its updates)

HTH,
Matthias

Raw Hide 20030511 running Linux kernel 2.4.20-9
Load : 0.49 0.28 0.20