ydl 3.0: some things not working

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 13 08:02:01 2003

Installation worked well. While booting I realized that the boot screen
and virtual consoles would still remain in 640*480. Loading KDE
succeeds but displays the "sound will be routed to /dev/null"-error
despite playing the sound in the background. Strange. Afterwards the
sound server remains functional without any intervention on my side.
While in X I started glxgears and got a mere 200 fps. Video card
detection worked for the radeon 8500 but was set to 8mb (of 64) and
showed an unchecked option "HW-Acceleration" which I checked. Running
glxgears again the machine hangs. After reboot I got 1200 fps the first
time, the second run hangs the machine again.
Looking for a fix on the net I tried to connect. Upon opening kppp I
realized that my Apple-Internal-Modem would work but in my current
setup I am forced to use my usb-isdn-ta draytek minivigor128, which is
not supported. Looking in the isdn-configuration tool made me sick
since there are just some internal x86-pc-pci and isa-devices listed
which to my knowlegde can't be used under OS X. Major unconvenience for
a dual boot setup.
Speaking of dual boot I than wanted to connect to the internet via OS X
and rebooted the machine. Guess what. I have a dual drive setup and
left the box for a coffee while rebooting only to find three messages
on screen saying "still waiting for the root-filesystem" (or was it
device?). Since I just skimmed through this list prior to installing
ydl 3.0 I opted for a little panic myself. In OS 9 I was able to read
my inbox, to connect and to download Dan's pdisk-rpm for a fix. Or so I
thought. Installing the rpm in very verbose mode showed success but
entering those alphanumeric rpm-codes like a four-year-old, it didn't
work. Checking the installed version shows a version number of -a2
instead of -3a. Time to read the man pages again and some tinkering. As
you can see it finally worked out since the principle was still
changing bootstrap to partition-map. Thank God. Thanks Dan. Really.
Checking the net for a proper isdn-usb-ta driver I found some sites
with x86-binary-rpms and some postings on debian lists regarding the
same problem for the ppc-platform. I contacted the vendor, the national
distributor and the Taiwanese manufacturer for ppc-binaries or source
and got several negative replies.

So what would be the best option for a single isdn device working under
both systems?