YD3.0 Install errors

Charlie Farinella yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 13 09:10:01 2003

Hi I'm new to Yellow Dog Linux, and Linux on the PPC in general.

I have installed  YD 3.0 on a white iMac G3 500.  During the install I
got a red screen with a bunch of 'can't access memory location'
messages, but the installation continued and I allowed it to proceed.  I
now have a Linux installation that functions with X11.  It hangs
periodically, and won't allow me to build certain packages (mod_perl for
instance), so suspecting some kind of corruption during the install, I
tried to reinstall.

Attempting to run the installation again from the cd either as a new
install, or as 'install rescue' gets me this:

==========
python2.2: Objects/dictobject.c:368:insertdict:Assertion `mp->ma_lookup
!= ((void *)0)' failed

install exited abnormally -- recieved signal 6

I have tried to reinstall the Mac OS, both versions 9 and 10 (X) without
success.  It's as if they don't see the hard drive.

Can anyone shed some light on what the error message means?

Charlie Farinella, Appropriate Solutions, Inc.
cfarinella@AppropriateSolutions.com
603-924-6079