[Fwd: Re: Apple Studio Display (17" LCD) woes...]

Patrick Smith yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 14 08:14:01 2003

(I had meant to send this reply to the list, but by accident sent it
just to Romeyn, so am now forwarding it to the list...)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Apple Studio Display (17" LCD) woes...
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:45:53 -0400
From: Patrick Smith <patsmith@pobox.com>
To: Romeyn Prescott <prescor@digirom.potsdam.edu>

Romeyn Prescott wrote:
> Here's my yaboot.conf:
> -----
> boot=/dev/hdb9
> device=/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@1:
> init-message="Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot
> options.\n\n"
> partition=11
> timeout=30
> install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
> magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
> default=linux
>
> image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-8d
>         label=linux
>         root=/dev/hdb11
>         read-only
>         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8d.img
>         append="hdc=ide-scsi"
>
> defaultos=linux
> delay=10
> I have an ATI Rage 128 w/16MB RAM, I think...

Same as mine.  Let's double check... when you run this command:

	grep 128 /proc/pci

does the output look like it's describing that card?

Assuming you do indeed have a Rage 128, try this:

Add the following lines to the end of /etc/yaboot.conf:

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-8d
         label=17
         root=/dev/hdb11
         read-only
         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8d.img
         append="hdc=ide-scsi video=aty128fb:1280x1024@60"

Run the command

	ybin

Reboot normally with the 15" still attached; everything should be fine.

Shutdown, attach the 17", and start up the computer.  At the second boot
prompt, type

	17

This should get text mode working.  (X is another story.)