Different kernels on OldWorld Macs

Thomas Kuehner yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 14 09:44:01 2003

Hi Alexander

> Alexander Holst wrote:

>> I do not understand, why the YDL-people removed this features, really I
>> don't.

> The stock YDL 3.0 kernel works on my PM7500/100 flawlessly, including
> onboard MACE ehternet as well as both onboard SCSI controllers (they
> are 10 and 5 M/sec controllers only though)

Yes, but as to be seen in this list, A LOT of users like me had upgraded
their OldWorld Macs with PCI Ultra-SCSI or UW-SCSI cards a time ago to gain
on larger and faster hard drives. The OldWorld kernel respects this and the
kernel shipped with 2.3 did too. So why has it changed?

>> Best guess: Recompiling 2.4.20-8d with adding the missing modules by
>> myself.
>> - On a 233 MhZ 604e machine with 1,2 GB drive space left??? Funny, he.

> Should work, I do compile NuBus kernels on my Performa 5200/75MHz - it
> takes time, but other than that, no issues so far ;) Your 233 MHz 604e
> should be a lot faster than my Performa. It usually takes about 3-4
> hours on my Performa, but hey. My next attempt will be to get a BOOT
> kernel for my Performa, so I can install YDL 3.0 on it ;)

Sorry that I try to walk around this. I never compiled a kernel by myself
although I know that this is a duty for any serious Linux user ;-)

Should gimme a try.

Thomas

Thomas Kuehner

<macgix@macgix-services.com>