Different kernels on OldWorld Macs

Thomas Kuehner yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 14 09:36:01 2003

Dear Rick

> Rick Sheridan wrote:

> What you might try is installing the BenH OldWorld SCSI kernel
> (linux-powermac-ow-scsi-2.4.20-benh), then upgrading MOL with the lates from
> MOL's site.  That should resolve the header config problem

That's what I did. The kernel header config file I meant should be included
with the kernel source but is not. Therefore "make" breakes when trying to
compile the MOL kernel modules against the benh kernel.

> Are you sure you updated your module dependancies?  It sounds silly, but I
> have seen many, myself included, forget to do a simple 'depmod -a'.  Try
> modprobe?

Arg, this I missed definitely ;-) - I will see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for the hint, I read about it but forgot.

> YDL 3.0 with MOL on an OW Mac
> with OS 9.1 is truly awesome.

INDEED! It mounts volumes on the MOL desktop that cannot be accessed from
Mac OS anymore allowing you to backup nearly all data. Any repair tool
(DiskDoctor, DiskWarrior, DataRescue) failed to access this hard drive, MOL
only told me something like I/O error in the log but ignored it :===)

Thomas
Thomas Kuehner

<macgix@macgix-services.com>
<http://www.macgix-services.com>