Different kernels on OldWorld Macs

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 14 09:31:01 2003

Am Mittwoch, 14.05.03, um 14:30 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com:

> Message: 11
> Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 14:28:49 +0200
> Subject: Different kernels on OldWorld Macs
> From: Thomas Kuehner <macgix@macgix-services.com>
> To: <yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>
> Hi all
>
> today I tested different kernels with the UMAX S900 (PPC 8500). Here
> are the
> results:
>
> [... snip ...]
>
> * The best kernel I'd ever run was the one that shipped with YDL 2.3
>
> Id did all internal and additional ethernet, US-SCSI and Ultra-ATA
> support,
> and the world was fine.
>
> I do not understand, why the YDL-people removed this features, really I
> don't.

The stock YDL 3.0 kernel works on my PM7500/100 flawlessly, including
onboard MACE ehternet as well as both onboard SCSI controllers (they
are 10 and 5 M/sec controllers only though)

> It would be pleasant, if thy could offer a recompiled 2.4.20-8d kernel
> including all the missing support.
>
> IMHO Linux is most interesting for OldWorld Macs, more less for a G4
> that
> ships with Mac OS X...
>

> Best guess: Recompiling 2.4.20-8d with adding the missing modules by
> myself.
> - On a 233 MhZ 604e machine with 1,2 GB drive space left??? Funny, he.

Should work, I do compile NuBus kernels on my Performa 5200/75MHz - it
takes time, but other than that, no issues so far ;) Your 233 MHz 604e
should be a lot faster than my Performa. It usually takes about 3-4
hours on my Performa, but hey. My next attempt will be to get a BOOT
kernel for my Performa, so I can install YDL 3.0 on it ;)

Greetings,
Alex

Alexander Holst
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>
ph: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx: +49 [0]7231 28-6040