Question: Booting YDL 3.0 - miBoot - ext3

Thomas Kuehner yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 14 10:03:00 2003

Hi Alex

> Was the folder called "Linux Kernels" - mind the space and the s at the
> end. Any other name will cause it to be ignored.

Yes. I am used in BootX since Championserver 1.2 ;-)

> A Systemfolder, containing only a System file and a disk image which in
> turn had a Systemfolder with the System file and a Finder which was
> actually the installer.

I only used the files from the disk image and copied them to an empty
"System Folder". I don't know why they put a separate system file inside the
miBoot folder. I had to place the kernel file on the root level  of the hd
and the ramdisk file too. If you use ResEdit and add the path "System
Folder:zIamge" it might work if placed in the sytem folder too.

Unfortunately I did not find "boot.conf" or "Linux Kernel" strings in
miBoot's system file (wonder wonder).

> In case you can't find it, I do have the CDs so I could creat a .img or
> .smi with all the neccessary contents correctly setup (including a demo
> boot.conf) so all you needed to do was to copy that to your HFS boot
> partition and add the desired kernels and specify the appropriate boot
> arguments in the boot.conf file.

This would be very very nice because I do not have to crawl through the loft
to find it.

> to test for bad blocks, but on older equipment, it certainly is worth
> the wait.

Think the disk was bad before. Tested old drives today and found still good
ones by testing blocks. Some others failed (50/50).

> Greetings,
> Alex

Cheers,

Thomas