Printing Problems on YDL 3.0

Herouth Maoz yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 15 01:17:00 2003

Quoting Bill Fink <billfink@mindspring.com>:

> I'm not sure why the gimp-print printer driver doesn't work, since
> from what I understand the gimp-print drivers are normally the preferred
> printer drivers to use.

This is definitely a YDL bug. It happened to me as well (with Epson stylus color
600), and I looked at the CUPS logs, and saw that there is some filter which fails.

I tried CUPS+gimp and foomatic+gimp, and each has a problem with a filter
crashing. In CUPS+gimp (available, as far as I can see, only from the CUPS web
interface printer definition), a filter crashes with signal 11. With
foomatic+gimp, it simply says that a certain filter failed to run - that filter
returns a nonzero return code. These are two different filters, by the way.
This was the main reason I removed YDL from my oldworld machine. I have
Mandrake, where CUPS+gimp works well, so it is not a Linux/PPC problem, but a
specific YDL problem.

I didn't want to use the upp printer driver because that's what I used in old
versions of linux, and frankly, these are very bad drivers - the color response
is really bad, the dithering is ugly, and the choice of resolutions is bad. At
least for the Epson STC600, that is. The CUPS+gimp drivers are really great, and
I was not willing to compromise on this. This was the only problem I had with
YDL 3.0 on my oldworld machine.

On the newworld machine I still can't get it to recognize my AGP card and work
with it.

Herouth