Printing Problems on YDL 3.0

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 14 22:09:00 2003

Hi David,

On Wed May 14 2003, David Chart wrote:

> I've got YDL 3.0 installed on a 12" G4 powerbook. I have a USB Epson
> Stylus Color 760 printer.
>
> I can print from OS X, so the hardware is fine.
>
> On YDL, I can configure the printer using the printer configuration
> tool, and everything looks fine. However, the test page just vanishes
> into the ether -- nothing seems to get sent to the printer.
>
> Presumably, something is still misconfigured (wrong printer device,
> perhaps?). Unfortunately, I have no idea what to check to figure out
> what's wrong. Suggestions very welcome.

I had a similar problem with printing using an Epson Stylus Color 800.
I had to switch from the gimp-print printer driver to the stc800ih.upp
printer driver to get it to work (don't forget to click Apply on the
main Printer configuration panel after making the change).

I'm not sure why the gimp-print printer driver doesn't work, since
from what I understand the gimp-print drivers are normally the preferred
printer drivers to use.  I did an upgrade from YDL 2.3 to 3.0.  I noticed
that I don't have cups-drivers installed so perhaps that's the problem.
But doing an "apt-get -s install cups-drivers" tells me it will also
remove redhat-config-printer and redhat-config-printer-gui, so I was
a little leary of doing that just yet.

						-Bill