YDL 3.0 Feedback

Mark Kirkwood yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 16 04:31:01 2003

After installing 3.0 on an older ibook, I thought I would share some
(very subjective) impressions :

Positives
------------
It looks great ! X settings for the ibook display are the business (24
bit colors no problem...) The minor quirkyness associated with the
trackpad "running away" from buttons and widgets under 2.3 has gone -
GUI operation has matured nicely. Actually X seems snappier than with 2.3.

The installer makes it possible to do a painless custom install without
having to work out package dependancies yourself (important with only a
3.2G drive...)

Ext3 filesystem being available at install is simply excellent.

3 Cds with many more packages is very cool.

So overall I am very pleased with 3.0.

negatives
Would be nice to see Enlightenment included on the Cd(s)  (The avid E
fan will just compile the source of course....).
New installer is touchy about the partition map (No big deal tho, with
MacOS 9.1 Cd on hand to redo them....).

best wishes

Mark