glibc6 question - plz help!

Sergio Rubio yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 16 07:11:33 2003

glibc6 is the gnu standard c library. You must have it installed in
order to run any c software on top of the linux kernel. If you have
yellowdog installed, sure that you have those libraries installed.

You can use "apt-cache search glibc" in a terminal to see the packages
related to the glibc name:

[rubiojr@dotless rubiojr]$ apt-cache search glibc
compat-db - The Berkeley DB database library for Red Hat Linux 7.x
compatibility.
glibc - The GNU libc libraries.
glibc-common - Common binaries and locale data for glibc
glibc-debug - Static standard C libraries with debugging information
glibc-devel - Header and object files for development using standard C
libraries.
glibc-kernheaders - Header files for the Linux kernel for use by glibc
glibc-profile - The GNU libc libraries, including support for gprof
profiling.
glibc-utils - Development utilities from GNU C library
gnome-libs - The main GNOME libraries.
libgcc - GCC version 3.2.2 shared support library
libstdc++ - GNU Standard C++ Library
nss_db - An NSS library for the Berkeley DB.
nss_db-compat - An NSS compatibility library for Berkeley Databases and
glibc 2.0.x.
yp-tools - NIS (or YP) client programs.

As you can see there is a glibc package. Use "apt-cache policy glibc" to
show the installed version of the package, if any.

More info related to apt:

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/apt-get.shtml

Cheers.

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 11:56, Jason - DJay Fusion wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've got YDL 3.0 running extremely well on a G4 server and I am happy so far
> with what I've seen.  I just have one simple (and kinda noobish) question:
>
> I want to run some software that requires glibc6 to run and I don't think
> those libraries are included in YDL 3.0.  I am sorta a new linux admin. and
> don't know what I need to install or really what glibc6 is all about...  I
> do know that they are GNU C language related, right?  The main software that
> I could not get running was the linux version of ShoutCast MP3 server.  They
> say on their site "This SHOUTcast server runs on Linux, and is an elf binary
> compiled with glibc6. SHOUTcast no longer supports older Linux kernels
> running libc5 or glibc".  I tried to run the binary anyway and it just gave
> errors and I assume it has to do with this glibc6 stuff.
>
> Can anyone help?  Thanks in advance,
>
> Jason - DJay Fusion
> fusion@audiostatic.org
> www.audiostatic.org

Sergio Rubio
http://www.rubiojr.org/~rubiojr

...extracted from an interview with "Flex y los Lexers":

Q: Why do you think Micro$oft Windows always SUCKS ?

A: Well, from a java point of view:

abstract class Sucker {}

class MsDos extends Sucker {}

class Windows3.11 extends MsDos {}