screen goes black..

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 18 12:50:01 2003

I'm assuming that the "Power Center 150" is an "Old World" machine
so you are using BootX to load Linux.

In that case, try checking the "No video driver" box on the BootX
screen, and/or (probably "and") the "Force video settings" checkbox
in the BootX Options screen.  This will force the Linux Kernel to
use the built-in fail-safe firmware-defined frame buffer, rather
than the accelerated, specially customized interface that the
manufacturer provided for your video card.  You don't seem to be
the type that is concerned about getting the best possible video
performance (800x600 and thousands of colors is pretty minimal) so
you'll probably be happy with the results.  And it will work well
enough for you to experiment with other settings if you want.

I've seen a tech note that somebody wrote that gives a cookbook for
which of the various vmode and cmode parameters to use with which
video cards, but I've lost the URL.  Does anybody on the list have
it?

Rick