screen goes black..

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 18 19:41:00 2003

At 14:50 -0400 on 2003-5-18 Rick Thomas wrote:

 > you'll probably be happy with the results.  And it will work well
 > enough for you to experiment with other settings if you want.

Well, my experience was, surprisingly enough (for me too) the other
way around: fbdev video produced quite a useless screen on my iMac (G3
350MHz, Rage 128 Pro AGP) but once I switched to the ati driver
everything was nice and dandy.  The recommended vmode was a little off
though, I had to alter the timing information manually.

By the way, anybody knows from where does the framebuffer gets the
timing information?  I do not mean X, but the initial setup (virtual
terminals and such).  What I do right now is fix the timings using
fbset as soon as /usr mounts (and thus fbset becomes available) which
is effective (save for the messages prior to /usr being mounted, whose
first column falls off the screen) but kind of ugly.

 > I've seen a tech note that somebody wrote that gives a cookbook for
 > which of the various vmode and cmode parameters to use with which
 > video cards, but I've lost the URL.  Does anybody on the list have
 > it?

Googling for aty128fb vmode cmode resulted in the following page:

    http://lppcfom.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/1043.html

I guess this is what you refer to.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.