OpenOffice and JDK

Kevin B. Hendricks yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 19 06:56:01 2003

Hi,

> Ok, so I'm still picking up this Linux thing. How do I install the J2re bin
> file? It seems OOo doesn't like the existing JRE when trying to export or
> save to XML.

Yes if you are using the new flat XML file filters and not the stardrad OOo
xml you will need to upgrade your jre installation and add a few new jar
archives (that will extend it to have some of the capabilities of jdk 1.4).

Use the latest -02d Blackdown j2sdk or the j2re on the YellowDog mirrors in
software/openoffice/ and then you need to grab a few free jar files that are
available from the Apache project.  You only need to do this because JDK 1.4
does not exist on PPC Linux yet.  On x86 this will work fine with JDK 1.4
without these additional jars.

So go to the Apache project and download the following:

crimson-1.1.3-bin.zip 		(and crimson-1.1.3-src.zip if you want the source too)
xalan-j_2_5_0-bin.zip 		(xalan-j_2_5_0-src.zip)
Xerces-J-bin.2.4.0.zip 	(Xerces-J-src.2.4.0.zip)

Then place crimson.jar, xalan.jar, and xml-apis.jar in j2sdk1.3.1/jre/lib/ext/
so that they can be found and used like system jars.

Then you should be good to go.

If you have trouble finding them on the official Apache site, let me know and
I will try to mirror them someplace else (but I am unsure of the
redistribution license).

I will add a note ot the official release announcement when the official
release is made to make sure this extra step is pointed out.

Thanks,

Kevin