ATI Rage 128 Howto

Herouth Maoz yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 19 15:02:01 2003

Well, after days of trying and checking with two distros and the
documentation from a third, here's what I found out:

Rage 128 (the entire family) is a real drag. It is very picky in PPC
Linux. You have to pass kernel parameters (aty128fb) as well as
screen resolution on the boot command line, whether it is OldWorld
(using BootX) or NewWorld (using the actual boot command "linux").

Now, many people here have been using this or that vmode and cmode.
Turns out that, at least in the NewWorld machines, another method is
accepted, using resolution, depth and refresh rate in this format:

    video=aty128fb:1280x1024-24@85

Which means 1280x1024, depth 24, 85 Hz.

For the install, I passed force-fbdev as another command line
parameter. It didn't seem to be accepted without it. However, fbdev
is then used as the driver in the X that's being install, and it
doesn't give very good results. You should change it to r128, but add
the option "UseFBDev true" to the X configuration (you can do that
from the Display program under "System settings" in KDE).

Note that for the "UseFBDev" option to work correctly, you *must*
pass aty128fb as a boot command line argument. If you use
video=ofonly, "UseFBDev" will not respond well.

Herouth
--
EMAIL: herouth@spamcop.net
HOME PAGE: http://herouth.port5.com/