clock problem

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 19 19:30:01 2003

Do you have your /usr directory on a different partition from the main
one? I had mine set up that way, and I had wierd problems. Something
about the way the software is written requires /usr to load during
startup so that the system knows which time zone you're in. I would set
the time correctly in MacOS then start Linux. The correct time (with
respect to hours and such) was shown, but it was defined as UTC time.
Then when I started X windows, the time was adjusted - I'm assuming to
the time zone I entered during installation. The minutes were correct,
but the hours were not. Then when I shutdown, it defined this
(incorrect) time as system time and adjusted the hardware clock to it.
The next time it started, it defined this time as UTC again and made the
same adjustment when I started X windows. Before I figured this out, the
dates on my outgoing email messages were a month or more behind (the
adjustment to my time zone from UTC was a subtraction.)

Hope this helps . . .

Cindy