Setup Issues ....

Dene Stringfellow yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 21 07:05:01 2003

I wonder if you might be able to help ...... apologies for the length of

this!
I'm considering moving one of a customer's file servers from an existing

AppleShareIP setup to a YellowDogLinux trial run system. I would be
grateful if you could provide some feedback to the following questions:

1)  The existing configuration for the AppleShareIP server which I want
to achieve on the YellowDogLinux server is as follows:

B/W G3 server 256Mb RAM
PCI Advansys Ultra2-Wide SCSI Card
2x ST318404LW  -  SCSI Id's: 0,1 respectively
External SCSI DDS4 DAT Tape Drive  -  SCSI Id: 12

The drives are setup as RAID1 using FWB Harddisk Toolkit.

2)  The version of YDL I have is dayton-2.3-20020704. I know version is
now available - can I run the installation with the 2.3 version and then

update afterwards? Is there a YDL 3.0 updater?

3)  When I boot from the CD I noticed the following during the
initialisation process:

>>  SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
>>  SCSI0: Advansys SCSI 3.3G: PCI Ultra2-Wide: PCIMEM 0xD20D1000 -
0xD20D10FF, IRQ 0x18
>>  Advansys: Advansys_Reset: Board 0: SCSI bus reset started ......
>>  Advansys: Advansys_Reset: Board 0: SCSI bus reset successful.
>>  SCSI device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after
bus reset: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0

The lines 3-5 repeat for each of the SCSI Id's 0-6 and 8-15!

>>  SCSI1: Host adapter emulation for IDE-ATAPI devices

The rest of the initialisation procedure appears to complete without any

further problems to the GUI setup screen.

When I proceed with the installation using the Custom option and reach
the Drive Partitioning section no drives are recognised? I came across
the problem when I tried to install Mandrake Linux PPC 8.0!!! What do I
do to get the system to recognise the drives?

4)  Can I setup a RAID 1 system under YellowDogLinux? If so, how do I go

about setting this up?

5)  Can I use the reiserfs on the proposed system? If so, how do I set
this up?

6)  Under Linux, can a system boot partition boot drive be configured
under RAID 1 to automatically cutover to the mirror in the event of a
drive/partition failure as is possible using the FWB Harddisk Toolkit
RAID conguration tool?
If so, how do I do this?

7)  Are there any step-by-step guides to setting up a YellowDog file
server in a mixed PC/Macintosh user environment?

Thankyou in advance for your assistance.

Dene Stringfellow

--
 Dene Stringfellow