Setup Issues ....

Geoffrey S. Mendelson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 21 07:29:01 2003

Dene Stringfellow wrote:

> 2)  The version of YDL I have is dayton-2.3-20020704. I know version is
> now available - can I run the installation with the 2.3 version and then
> update afterwards? Is there a YDL 3.0 updater?

It's not really a good idea. The major changes between 3.0 and 2.3 from
a server point of view are better perfomance and security. You might
as well start from scratch with the better system.

Be warned that there is a problem with the 3rd Cd on the ftp site and it's
mirrors make sure to get the correct one.

> 3)  When I boot from the CD I noticed the following during the
> initialisation process:
> When I proceed with the installation using the Custom option and reach
> the Drive Partitioning section no drives are recognised? I came across
> the problem when I tried to install Mandrake Linux PPC 8.0!!! What do I
> do to get the system to recognise the drives?

Make sure the scsi controller is supported by Linux. Much more likely on YDL
3.0 than 2.3.

> 4)  Can I setup a RAID 1 system under YellowDogLinux? If so, how do I go
> about setting this up?

Look up the linux raid howto. It's basicaly the same for the PPC as the i386.

> 5)  Can I use the reiserfs on the proposed system? If so, how do I set
> this up?

You set up a raid array. How you format it is up to you. Note that ext3
may be better than reiser. SuSE loves reiser, RedHat loves EXT3.

> 6)  Under Linux, can a system boot partition boot drive be configured
> under RAID 1 to automatically cutover to the mirror in the event of a
> drive/partition failure as is possible using the FWB Harddisk Toolkit
> RAID conguration tool?
> If so, how do I do this?

Don't know, but I might suggest that you buy a small boot drive (say 10 gig)
to use for the system and swap.

> 7)  Are there any step-by-step guides to setting up a YellowDog file
> server in a mixed PC/Macintosh user environment?

The important things to decide on who is going to be the DHCP server
and how windows users logon. See Samba docs and howtos. Same as the i386
version.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm@mendelson.com 972-54-608-069