two questions

mike newman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 22 10:17:01 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003, John Bragazzi wrote:
> 1) Is there a Linux text editor which allows you to cut rectangular
> areas of text and move them around in a file?  This is the main thing
> which keeps me using DOS on one of my computers, since I need this
> feature and QEdit (for DOS) has it.  If I had this, I could use Linux
> for pretty much everything.  I realize that vi may have this feature
> (it seems to have pretty much everything else), but I haven't found
> it yet.

some years ago i used KDE's Kedit (redhat 6) for that very reason -- you
could cut and paste rectangles of text, and it was a teeny tiny editor.
it was wonderfully useful for programming.

on checking it seems either my memory is off, or the feature has
fossilized: it seems to be only in the "bigger" apps Kwrite and Kate have
this feature, and IMHO the paste doesn't work right. specifically, pasting
a vertical block of four n's after the k
	i like to
	kow
	gome
	ad
	gu.
produces
	i like to
	know
	gome
	ad
	gu.
which is not "rectangular pasting", IMHO.

thanks to the poster who pointed out this can be done in emacs too.

mike