two questions

Ted Lemon yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 22 10:22:01 2003

> 1) Is there a Linux text editor which allows you to cut rectangular
> areas of text and move them around in a file?  This is the main thing
> which keeps me using DOS on one of my computers, since I need this
> feature and QEdit (for DOS) has it.  If I had this, I could use Linux
> for pretty much everything.  I realize that vi may have this feature
> (it seems to have pretty much everything else), but I haven't found
> it yet.

You can do this in GNU emacs.   Go to one corner of the rectangle and
hit M-SPC.   Go to the other corner and hit C-x r k.   Then move to the
upper left corner of where you want the rectangle and do C-x r y.
This cuts and pastes the rectangle.   BTW, if all these commands look
like gibberish to you, read the emacs tutorial (you'll get instructions
on how when you start emacs).