printing (still)

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 23 11:11:01 2003

  Aurel -

I think I tried copying the 'if' line once already - I copied the raw
entry from printcap into printcap.local and added the if line at the end
of it. That's the reason for the LW310 entry. I tried it again since you
suggested it, and it didn't work. After thinking about it for a while, I
tried adding the path for the ps300-filter from magicfilter to that
line. It didn't work either.

However, I found out that I get good output from Kword and Kontour. This
is wierd - I thought for sure I had tried to print from Kword before,
and it didn't work.

Since I also get good output from Xfig, it seems that if the application
can see the printcap entries (such that it has a pulldown menu with the
defined printers in its print dialog) then it prints just fine. However,
if it does not have this, then it won't print. The light blinks for a
while, then finally gives up. It works using both the raw queue without
an 'if' filter, and the queue with the 'if' filter.

Do you have any idea what this means? What do I have to do to make the
other applications work? (The last question is an expression of
frustration more than anything else - I'm sure that if you know the
answer, you'll give it to me whether I make the question explicit or
not. :-) )

Thanks for your help so far.

Cindy