Beige G3 + Radeon 7000 PCI + YDL 3.0

Ellis Skinazi yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 23 11:17:01 2003

Hi

I had a similar problem with a Voodoo Mac 4500 PCI on Beige G3 (YDL2.3).

You might want to check the "Default depth" (colour) in "XF86Config-4" and
reduce it to "8" or "16" if it is set at "24". Just to try to get it
working??

Since the Voodoo 4500 that I have is unsupported in XFree86 prior to version
4.3, I had to run my machine in framebuffer mode (software) so the default
depth had to be "16". I also had to add a "ModeLine" to "XF86Config-4" by
using the command "fbset -x" and capturing output to a file. I merged the
file (with the "ModeLine" information) into "XF86Config-4" and it all worked
fine.

Note that if (like the rest of us) you don't "live and breathe" Linux, then
a little notebook to log any changes you make is a useful memory-jogger (for
later) ... sort of a manual "undo" function ;^).

Regards
Ellis

-----Original Message-----
From: Angela Kahealani
Subject: Re: Beige G3 + Radeon 7000 PCI + YDL 3.0

On Thu, 2003-05-22 01:11, Robert M. Sanders (rob) wrote:
> Hello y'all,
>   Has anyone had problems (and solved them) trying to get
> YDL 3.0 running with XFree86 on a Beige G3 with the ATI Radeon
> 7000?

I found that the YDL3 Anaconda installer was quite happy to run a graphical
installer successfully detecting,
the ATI Radeon 7000 Mac Edition PCI card and
the Apple Studio Display 17" AM LCD with Dr.Bott's DVI-ator
but the installer ran on the motherboard VGA port to a multiscan monitor.

Meanwhile, ... snipped!