"Guide to Installation" my foot!

Geoffrey S. Mendelson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 26 01:44:01 2003

Beartooth wrote:

> 	The accompanying book and pamphlet both insist that one use the
> so-called Guide to Installation, printed out from the Yellowdoglinux.com
> site. All I can find seems to be identical to the little pamphlet
> (called a Companion, not a guide), which came with the CDs, which
> insists that it is only an addendum. That's another and more disgusting
> crock. Joseph Heller, are you YDL's silent partner??

There is a guide that does not come woth it. It lays out each step,
although VERY briefly, but I found it necessary to have and I've done
hundreds of RedHat installs and a few SuSE PPC ones.

It is not on the CDs :-(

IMHO the best way to upgrade is to use yum. If you have a decent network
connection or can copy the first 3 cd's to a local server, you can
update the release with yum.

> 	All right, trying to get out of that, I go back and re-boot,
> with the C key held down till my arm about falls off, while the CD makes
> a huge racket, just as I did (and it did) before. That simply closes the
> loop, and gets me back to the dim disk. Still another crock.

Exactly which machine are you doing this on? It only boots "new world"
MACs from the CD.

Geoff.

HINT: If you have an old world power mac and want to have sound, you
have to recompile the kernel and alsa. What fun.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm@mendelson.com 972-54-608-069
Do sysadmins count networked sheep?