hfs access problems

Thomas Kuehner yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 26 07:15:00 2003

Hi Andreas

> From: stein-giessen@t-online.de (Andreas Stein)
> Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 14:39:49 +0200
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> Subject: hfs access problems
>
> Hi!

-snip-
> One of my Problems:
> I start KDE as a User and mount my hfs partition in a terminal with
> "mount -t hfs /dev/hda10 /mnt" as su. After this I start Konqueror and
> open my /mnt device but there is nothing to see. No file no device.

I would suggest to create a separate directory in /mnt that you will use as
a so called 'mountpoint' (There already is directory in /mnt called /cdrom!)

As root (su):

mkdir /mnt/macos (for example)

then as root (su) too (only root can mount devices in a terminal session
imho)

mount -t hfs /dev/hda10 /mnt/macos

Now you might change the owner priviliges of /mnt/macos to your user
account:

chown -R /mnt/macos

Under Gnome a file browser window opens up automatically showing the
contents of a CD-ROM mounted that way.

> If I start KDE as root again and start Konqueror, /mnt is still
> mounted, now I can see all files and devices on my hfs partition.
>
> How can I do this with YDL 3.0 and KDE 3.1 as a normal User?

Think you will have to add /dev/hda10 to your fstab file first.

Hopefully this helps you a bit.

Cheers,

Thomas

Thomas Kuehner