I am having great difficulty getting cups to see my (appletalk printer)??

Sergio Valdes-Flores yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 26 07:03:00 2003

--Apple-Mail-2-485066761

Romeyn
I don't know if my Epson 740 USB color printer attached via USB is
doing "apple talk" to my 10.2.6 iMac lamp.
it is simply attached via a long USB cable..the lamp sees it fine..I
installed it "default"...so what's the protocol it is using??
I was never able to get my YDL powerbook pismo to see it..I tried cups,
but I am not a cups expert..this was my first time I saw, heard of
cups, or did anything with cups. Both the lamp with OS X and the pismo
with YDL are not connected to my home router via Enet but via the
airport card...my router can do both, Enet and wireless.
so I just failed on making my pismo laptop with YDL have a printer.
so is the default OS X Print Center "configuring a USB printer wizard"
- appletalk ?? and I need the same pap you recommended or what ??
Sergio
On Monday, May 26, 2003, at 12:07  AM,
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:

> Message: 9
> Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 18:58:23 -0400
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> From: Romeyn Prescott <prescor@digirom.potsdam.edu>
> Subject: Re: I am having great difficulty getting cups to see my
> appletalk
>  printer
> Cc: James Applebaum <james@electricbluefish.com>
>
> At 11:18 PM -0400 5/24/03, James Applebaum scribbled:
>> My apple talk printer is attached via a local talk bridge.
>> pap is installed on the machine... however I don't quite understand
>> how to configure.
>> Anyone have some help or insight?
>>

> You need a pap backend for CUPS.  I happen to have one at:
>
> http://digirom.potsdam.edu/downloads/papbackend
>
> Make sure you've read all the documentation for CUPS and Netatalk.
>
> ...ROMeyn
>
> --
> http://www2.potsdam.edu/prescor/signat-url.htm

--Apple-Mail-2-485066761

Romeyn

I don't know if my Epson 740 USB color printer attached via USB is
doing "apple talk" to my 10.2.6 iMac lamp.

it is simply attached via a long USB cable..the lamp sees it fine..I
installed it "default"...so what's the protocol it is using??

I was never able to get my YDL powerbook pismo to see it..I tried
cups, but I am not a cups expert..this was my first time I saw, heard
of cups, or did anything with cups. Both the lamp with OS X and the
pismo with YDL are not connected to my home router via Enet but via
the airport card...my router can do both, Enet and wireless.

so I just failed on making my pismo laptop with YDL have a printer.

so is the default OS X Print Center "configuring a USB printer wizard"
- appletalk ?? and I need the same pap you recommended or what ??

Sergio

On Monday, May 26, 2003, at 12:07  AM,
At 11:18 PM -0400 5/24/03, James Applebaum scribbled:

<excerpt>My apple talk printer is attached via a local talk bridge.

pap is installed on the machine... however I don't quite understand

how to configure.

Anyone have some help or insight?

</excerpt>

You need a pap backend for CUPS.  I happen to have one at:

Make sure you've read all the documentation for CUPS and Netatalk.

...ROMeyn

--

</fixed></excerpt>
--Apple-Mail-2-485066761--