"making ydl rich"

Kevin B. Hendricks yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 26 07:24:01 2003

Hi,

> how about a little clickable button on their website so for $25 i can
> "register" my copy that i downloaded and burned myself? "register"
> meaning, say, they mail me a ydl sticker for my laptop, or maybe a
> postcard ? (lettermail stamp only, and i'm sure customs wouldn't care)?
> that way 100% of the cash i spend goes to development of the software.
>
> i recently bought ydl 2.3 (just days before 3.0 was announced), wanting to
> actually give ydl some money for their fine product. however, i live in
> canada, so shipping, plus duties,taxes etc meant that i spent almost twice
> as much as they received.

I couldn't agree more.  I also live in Canada and the NAFTA agreement is bogus
(btw that is not actually duty but a fee to make sure the item in question is
not dutiable, I asked once and they fed me that line of drivel...).

I would much rather register something I download for $25 than order a CD
through or anything through the mail since they do tax the living hell out of
us up here.  SuSE once sent to me as a developer's gift atheir just released
7.3 version and damn Canada chanrged me duty and gst on the gift!

So please consider a way to either make a donation or some pay to
pseudo-register something so that we can give back to YDL without having the
Canadian government steal us blind yet again (in Canada (marginal) tax rate
is 50% and that doesn't count a 15% VAT sales taxes (gst+pst in Ontario) +
plus an outrageous gasoline tax plus duty (or fees in lieu of ...) plus ...

Thanks,

Kevin