VDQ : upgrade 3.0 -- which way?

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 27 00:24:37 2003

Beartooth,

When all else fails, read the manual!  The "man" page for yum is
pretty clear.  If you have any questions after reading it, we'll do
our best to help here on the list.

Here's my outline of the procedure:

1) Install YDL 3.0 from the CDs.  (I know, this is a big project
all by itself!  Believe me, it's not impossible.  We've all done
it -- some of us several times!)

2) Get your video configuration squared away.  (Read the manuals
and ask for help on the list if you run into problems.  Making this
part easy for the novice is an area that needs a lot more work.)

3) In a text window, as root, run "yum update" to pick up the
late-breaking fixes.  This may take a while.  Don't panic.

4) Proceed to customize and configure your installation as needed
to fit your desires.  Again, read the manuals first, then ask
questions on the list.  It pays to keep a steno pad where you write
down everything you do in this stage.  You'll be glad you did when
YDL 3.1 comes out.

5) Enjoy your Linux machine.

6) Periodically, run "yum update" to pick up the latest
security/bug fixes.

As to the "apt vs yum" question --  Here's the story as I understand it:

The YDL instructions _do_ recommend that, right after doing the
initial install, you use "apt-get" to download and install any late
breaking security and/or bug fixes.  This is good advice except for
the fact that the version of apt-get that comes on the CDs is
seriously broken.

This would be bad news -- indeed a show-stopper, except that there
is another "updater" program that ships on the CDs, called "yum",
and it's _not_ broken.  It also happens to be every bit as
functional and even easier to use than apt -- though apt is pretty
easy to use to begin with when it's working.

YDL are working on getting us a fixed version of apt, but it's not
available yet.

You can get a test version of the fixed apt from
<http://ayo.freshrpms.net> if you really feel the need.  I've tried
it, and it seems to work for me.  I assume that YDL is doing a more
thorough set of tests than I could, and that's why they haven't
released it yet.

Enjoy!

Rick