VDQ : upgrade 3.0 -- which way?

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 27 01:30:01 2003

On Tue May 27 2003, Rick Thomas wrote:

> 1) Install YDL 3.0 from the CDs.  (I know, this is a big project
> all by itself!  Believe me, it's not impossible.  We've all done
> it -- some of us several times!)
>
> 2) Get your video configuration squared away.  (Read the manuals
> and ask for help on the list if you run into problems.  Making this
> part easy for the novice is an area that needs a lot more work.)
>
> 3) In a text window, as root, run "yum update" to pick up the
> late-breaking fixes.  This may take a while.  Don't panic.

2.5)  Edit /etc/yum.conf to have the correct base and updates sections
      (the distributed YDL 3.0 yum.conf was incorrect).

	[base]
	name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
	baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/3.0/base/

	[updates]
	name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 updates
	baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/3.0/update/

BTW i used apt-get to successfully upgrade from YDL 2.3 to 3.0 so it
is possible, but I wouldn't recommend it for novices.  I now use yum
as I much prefer it over apt-get.

						-Bill